Good Ukrainian borscht should be so thick with vegetables that, according to an old rule, a wooden spoon will stand upright when stuck into the pot.
Sometimes the borscht could be served as one-course meal.
Borscht is a very complicated meal and can consist of more than 20 ingredients: for example, one version of ingredients:
• 1 pound boneless beef chuck.
• 1 beef marrow bone.
• 1 1/2 pounds pork spareribs.
• 2 onions, in all.
• 1 carrot, in all.
• 1 parsley root, in all.
• 2 ounces celery root, in all.
• 1 teaspoon salt plus additional salt to taste.
• 3 medium beets.
• 1 tablespoon unsalted butter.
• 3 tomatoes.
• 2 potatoes.
• 1/3 head cabbage.
• 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper.
• 2 tablespoons tomato paste.
• 1/4 pound boiled ham, cut into 1/2-inch dice.
• 1 tablespoon finely chopped parsley leaves.
• 3 cloves garlic, crushed in a garlic press or finely chopped.
• 6 teaspoons sour cream
But the only one ingredient is required in every recipes of borscht is the beets! And without onions, garlic, pepper, lovage, dill, marjoram, savory, parsley, celery borscht can’t be the real good Ukrainian borscht